Complaints procedure


If you have any complaints about our services, we would like to discuss them with you. If this is not satisfactory, you can contact the professional association: the Netherlands Institute of Psychologists (NIP) with your complaint. You can submit your complaint to the NIP Board of Supervisors or use the dispute settlement under the CHPGZ Act. On the website of P3NL and in these forms (complaint leaflet, complaint form) you will find more information about this.